My Frame of Mind

These are my thoughts, however I may quote those who are smarter and wiser than I am.

Monday, April 26, 2010

Encina Apaches Alumni

Ever year, my Alumni does a fund-raiser for our beloved Encina High School in Sacramento.
It's the Old guys (aka Alumni) vs the current Varsity team.
In 10 years, we have raised over $400k...all from email pledges.
Friday nite was THE nite:

The alumni lost a heartbreaker on Friday night...
 
After leading by as much as 17 points in the third quarter, and by 13 points with 5:34 left in the fourth quarter, the alumni were unable to handle the relentless full court press of the varsity team. Forcing turnovers, they whittled away at the alumni lead, finally taking the lead for the first time with 1:50 left in the game. The alumni fought back, with Erickson Aquino 95 making 4 straight free throws to tie the game 65-65 with 42 seconds left. But the varsity prevailed, winning 71-65.
 
In spite of the result, this was a fun and exciting game to watch. The alumni had speed and deadly shooting this year, but the youth of the varsity team and their second half press won out.
 
At's ok...we need to "let" the young guys win once in awhile!

This year, despite the economy, we raised an impressive $29K !!!

As usual, an after-game get together happens. This year I met up with a friend I've known since the 8th grade and haven't seen in about 6 years.

We DID celebrate THAT!

Here's some highlights....
This is pre-game at the free BBQ dinner with Steve Palmer, one of the even co-ordinators.
I simply refused to wear an old cheer outfit...no matter how much anyone pledged!
Then we went into the remodeled gym ($30m  and no a/c!)

Smile and wave Martha! This is what we USE to do at games, right?

This is me trying to get the Alumni excited and enthusiastic when the score took a dump on our side...
Yes, yes...I know sitting on the Apache logo is like sacraligious...but them seats are hard on old butts!

We had a great time even though...well you know...we lost! But I hopefully gained a old friend back.


No comments: