My Frame of Mind

These are my thoughts, however I may quote those who are smarter and wiser than I am.

Saturday, December 6, 2008

Holiday Traditions

Now that I am feeling a bit better, I think it's time to start enjoying the holidays.

I find it interesting how different cultures have celebrated Christmas in generations past.
Since Haley was in Sweden during the holidays in 2005, I researched their many traditions and had made a lot of things and sent them over for her to give to her families there.

How ironic that when Haley rec'd her first American Girl doll, it was Kirsten, a Swedish girl.
Since I was sooo lonely for her during the holidays, I still dressed her doll in the traditional St. Lucia outfit as we had done together over the years, hence the idea for this was the card I then sent to her families.
Enjoy a little Swedish Holiday Tradition...

Feasting and celebrating begin on December 13 with Lucia Day, which legend says is the longest night of the year and a time when man and beast need extra nourishment. A Lucia (Queen of Light) is chosen from each home, club, school, etc. She is dressed in a white gown with a crown of candles in her hair. She brings coffee, rolls, ginger biscuits, and occasionally "glogg" (a mulled wine). She is generally accompanied by a train of white-clad attendants. The girls wear glitter in their hair and the boys wear tall paper cone hats decorated with stars. While delivering their precious fare, they sing traditional Lucia carols.

Here is the translation of the Lucia carol;
The night treads heavily
around yards and dwellings
In places unreached by sun,
the shadows brood
Into our dark house she comes,
bearing lighted candles,
Saint Lucia, Saint Lucia.

1 comment:

Juel said...

So glad to here you are feeling better!!